Colt-Franklin Military Rifle
Rifle was not a successful venture for Colt. Patents were held by William B. Franklin, a vice-president of the company. Bolt-action rifle, with a primitive gravity-fed box magazine. Chambered for .45-70 government cartridge. Has a 32.5" barrel. Blued, with walnut stock. Rifle has Colt Hartford barrel address and stamped with an eagle's head and U.S. inspectors marks. There were only 50 of these rifles produced and it is believed they were prototypes intended for government sales. This was not to be and production ceased after approximately 50 were manufactured in 1887 and 1888.