IVER JOHNSON ARMS & CYCLE WORKS
Location: Middlesex, New Jersey
Established in 1883 in Fitchburg, Massachusetts. Company has produced a wide variety of firearms during its existence. In 1894, the firm became "Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works." It is perhaps best known as a major manufacturer of inexpensive but serviceable pocket-size revolvers in .22 rimfire, .32 S&W, and .38 S&W calibers, serving the same sizable market niche as Hopkins & Allen and Harrington & Richardson in the late-19th through mid-20th centuries. During that time, beginning in 1890, the Iver Johnson owl's head logo appeared on the grips of most of its revolvers. Its best-known marketing slogan, "Hammer the hammer," referred to a hammer-block safety and frame-mounted firing pin that prevented a revolver from firing accidentally if dropped on the hammer spur, introduced in 1904 on the popular Safety Automatic double-action revolver line. Iver Johnson continued arms production until it was liquidated in 1993. Many 19th century handguns made by Iver Johnson and its predecessor Johnson and Bye are difficult to identify due to the lack of a maker’s name on the gun.
Choose your Firearm
Results filtered by