WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS
Choose your Firearm
By PhotosBrowse By Photo 📷
By SeriesMODEL 21MODEL 9400 SERIESMODEL 9422 TRIBUTE SERIES"MODEL 12 Y"" SERIES"""MODEL 12 "Y" SERIESMODEL 1300 SERIESSPEED PUMP SERIESSUPER X3 (SX3) SERIESMODEL 23 SERIESMODEL 101 SERIESSELECT OVER/UNDER SERIES
By ModelHunt Repeating Rifle
Standard Grade - 12 gaugeModel 21--1931 to 1959
Standard Grade - 16 gaugeModel 21--1931 to 1959
Standard Grade - 20 gaugeModel 21--1931 to 1959
Tournament Grade - 12 gaugeModel 21--1931 to 1959
Tournament Grade - 16 gaugeModel 21--1931 to 1959
Tournament Grade - 20 gaugeModel 21--1931 to 1959
Trap Grade - 12 gaugeModel 21--1931 to 1959
Trap Grade - 16 gaugeModel 21--1931 to 1959
Trap Grade - 20 gaugeModel 21--1931 to 1959
Skeet Grade - 12 gaugeModel 21--1931 to 1959
Skeet Grade - 16 gaugeModel 21--1931 to 1959
Skeet Grade - 20 gaugeModel 21--1931 to 1959
Duck/Magnum GunCustom Built/Deluxe GradeCustom Built/Deluxe Grade
12 gaugeCustom Built/Deluxe Grade
16 gaugeCustom Built/Deluxe Grade
20 gaugeCustom Built/Deluxe Grade
.410 BoreCustom Shop Model 21s—1960 to 1981Custom Shop Model 21s—1960 to 1981
Custom Grade—12 GaugeCustom Shop Model 21s—1960 to 1981
Pigeon Grade—12 GaugeCustom Shop Model 21s—1960 to 1981
Grand American—12 Gauge
ENGRAVED MODEL 21sCustom Shop Model 21s—1982 to 1993Model 24
Commentary and values by Bud Bugni.
First slide-action shotgun ever developed exclusively for .410 bore. Invented by William Roemer. It was in effect, at least in outward appearance, a miniature Model 12. This shotgun was quality-built, fast-handling, racy looking that many refer to as "Everybody’s Sweetheart". First American .410 bore chambered for new 3" shell as well as 2.5". Offered in several different configurations throughout its production. These configurations will greatly influence value:
1. Standard Grade: 26" or 28" plain or solid rib barrel; plain walnut pistol-grip stock; grooved slide handle; fitted with composition buttplate; straight-grip offered on special order basis, but is extremely rare. Built from 1933 to 1963.
2. Skeet Grade: 26" or 28" plain, solid or ventilated rib barrel; select walnut checkered pistol-/straight-grip stock; checkered extension slide handle; offered in Full, Modified, Improved Cylinder, Cylinder as well as Skeet chokes. Built from 1933 to 1963.
3. Trap Grade: 26" or 28" plain or solid rib barrel; fancy walnut special checkered pistol-/straight-grip stock; special checkered extension slide handle; checkering pattern has one closed diamond on each side of pistol-grip; straight-grip diamond located on underside of grip; extension slide handle has two uncut diamonds on each side. Most were stamped "TRAP" on bottom of receiver under serial number. Built from 1934 to 1939.
4. Deluxe Grade: continuation of Trap Grade; available with ventilated rib in 1954; some early models stamped "DELUXE" on bottom of receiver. This stamping is seldom seen and probably discontinued around 1949. Built from 1940 to 1963.
5. Pigeon Grade: same as Deluxe Grade, but engraved with pigeon on lower magazine tube. Very few of this grade built by Winchester and majority were done in late 1940s. Authentic Pigeon Grade 42s appear to have been built between 1945 and 1949. Some estimate less than 50 produced. Rare Model 42. Seek an expert opinion before sale.
As of late, I have heard horror stories from sincere, honest, decent folks who have purchased mis-represented guns from unscrupulous sellers or sellers who simply do not know their products. In some cases there are no return privileges, or buyer was unable to authenticate his purchase in a timely manner. This often has resulted in a heavy financial loss and that's a dish served cold. Contributors are listed in Standard Catalog of Firearms. These knowledgeable and dedicated people are eager to assist readers, or refer them to sources who can.—Bud Bugni
NOTE: Engraved Model 42s will occasionally be seen. Collectors are urged to seek expert advice on these rare and expensive guns. Model 42 produced from 1933 to 1963. About 164,000 were sold. Factory service and repair for this model was discontinued in February of 1972.
EXTRA BARRELS: Winchester offered extra interchangeable barrels for its Model 42s, at customer’s request beginning in 1934. These extra sets of barrels are a rare option. Both barrels should have same barrel markings and matching serial numbers before originality can be considered. Values are difficult to determine, but as a general rule, add 60 percent to price of a Model 42 if it has factory-original extra barrel sets.
EDITOR'S COMMENT: Contrary to traditional views, Winchester did install factory ventilated ribs on its Model 42. Former employees and factory drawings substantiate this fact. However, subject of what is a factory rib and what is not has been covered in great detail in an excellent book on Model 42. Seek expert advice before selling or purchasing any Model 42 with ventilated rib.
NOTE: Pigeon Grade Model 42s, with documentation on expert authentication, add 100 percent. Must be individually appraised. Proceed with caution.
CUTTS COMPENSATOR GUNS: Approximately 66 original Cutts Compensator guns were produced in the Winchester factory, making this one of the rarest options on Model 42. New information reveals that Cutts Compensators were available on Model 42 as early as 1950. This offering appeared in Winchester retail price list dated December 15, 1950. Considering this, since ventilated ribs were not offered on M42 until 1954, one may see an original "Cutts Gun" with plain or solid rib barrel minus a choke mark. NOTE: Add 25 percent for original Cutts guns; deduct 50 percent for non-original Cutts guns.
POST-1963 RIFLESModel 121
POST-1963 MODEL 70Model 70—Standard GradeModel 70 VarmintModel 70 WesternerModel 70 AfricanModel 70 MagnumModel 70 DeluxeModel 70 Mannlicher
POST-2007 MODEL 70Model 70 Featherweight Deluxe
WINCHESTER CUSTOM GUN SHOPModel 94 Custom Limited Edition New Generation
POST-1963 SHOTGUNSModel 12 Field Grade
Grade IVModel 42 (Limited Edition)
12 Gauge ComboModel 1300 Ranger Deer Combo
20 Gauge ComboModel 1300 Defender ComboModel 1300 Defender 5-Shot
Pigeon Grade LightweightModel 23 Golden Quail